What is the Italians’ version of flat?
That is the question. Because it sure isn’t what we consider flat, as I chugged slowly up steep hills on my bike through Tuscany. 6 days...my legs were in for it.
We met up with our bike tour group and headed off to the town of Siena our first night. We finally got to see the Italian countryside and the famous Cyprus trees all neatly lined up on the hill tops. I knew Italy was going to be hilly, the biking tour warned us of “intermediate” terrain, but as we drove I knew it was going to be a challenge. I had not ridden my road bike or used my clipless pedals since my triathlon about 3 years ago so I was anxious to prove to myself I could still do it. Karl had never used clipless pedals or a road bike before but I knew he’d catch on quick. Sure enough, he ended being the only one of us four who didn’t fall off his bike at least once while being clipped in!
We did a walking tour of Siena when we arrived and then true Bike Vermont style we had an amazing welcome dinner at a local trattoria consisting of about 8 courses total (which would become standard to us after a week here). The food along the entire trip was amazing and we ate at local trattorias, osterias, etc. chosen by our local tour guides. This particular night was the best homemade, melt in your mouth cheese stuffed gnocchi we’ve ever had. Not to mention the veal, Caprese salad, tiramisu…oh my god, I’m gaining weight just thinking about it!!
Day 1 was hard. After getting to know our bikes, pedals, how not to crash and how to STOP the bike (very important) we were finally biking in Italy! This is where I start to question Italians’ version of flat. We were told to expect a couple “small climbs” followed by flat, but these were all out mountains people! It was VERY hot the first day, like upper 90’s almost 100...Texas summer day style. Yikes. There was a very steady, long , significant climb before lunch that I was convinced one of us would have a heat stroke on that day. At least it would be good scenery as I was going down I guess? We all ended up making it, without taking the van it and the view from the restaurant we ate at for lunch was worth it but YEE HAW that kicked our butts. Welcome back to biking Jamie!
Day 1 was hard. After getting to know our bikes, pedals, how not to crash and how to STOP the bike (very important) we were finally biking in Italy! This is where I start to question Italians’ version of flat. We were told to expect a couple “small climbs” followed by flat, but these were all out mountains people! It was VERY hot the first day, like upper 90’s almost 100...Texas summer day style. Yikes. There was a very steady, long , significant climb before lunch that I was convinced one of us would have a heat stroke on that day. At least it would be good scenery as I was going down I guess? We all ended up making it, without taking the van it and the view from the restaurant we ate at for lunch was worth it but YEE HAW that kicked our butts. Welcome back to biking Jamie!
The scenery was gorgeous. It was a mix of vineyards, Cyprus trees, olive trees, wineries, and tons of agricultural fields. The first two days of biking Italy was experiencing a significant heat wave with record temps for the season so far. It didn’t make the intense hills any easier pedaling in almost 100 degrees those first 2 days but it made the pool at the hotel and beers even better!
looking like a Pro!


Way to go!
ReplyDelete