The overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was incredible. (Compared to an overnight flight, overnight trains hands down rock!) We each had huge bunk beds and the entire group was all in one car so it was like a giant slumber party. We had a full on party with music, drinks, cards, etc. It was a fun way to get to know everyone on our tour that we'd be with for the next 4 weeks!
The highlights of Thailand were: celebrating the big 3-0 with the longneck tribe during the day and then later that night with our group at a Thai disco. I basically rang in my 30th the same way I did my 21st. Well, maybe not quite that ridiculous, but let's just say I still have it in me and don't feel old yet. My new friends and I drank Lychee flavored Bacardi Breezers all night because Thai discos don't serve hard liquor of any kind (this could have been a blessing in disguise looking back) and I couldn't take another Singha beer after close encounters with the beer towers at dinner. Interestingly enough, Thais apparently go to discos to sit down at tables, eat popcorn and fruit plates, and watch Americans dance on stage to Poker Girl. Apparently, at one point in the night one of my new friends on the tour and I happened to find a "pet" boa constrictor winding around cords of the club's stereo system and asked if we could hold it. My camera was dead, Karl was no where to be found at this moment, so somewhere out there is a picture of me, on my 30th birthday, Bacardi Breezer in hand with a snake wrapped around my neck.
On another note, the Thai cooking class was also one of my favorite activities. Minus nearly setting a Thai lady working in the kitchen on fire, starting with her sleeve, everything was fun and the food turned out awesome. We will definitely be making Pad Thai and mango sticky rice again from our cookbook we took home.
In Chiang Rai, we hiked to visit three different hill tribes. The most famous and recognizable was the "long neck" tribe. The women wear heavy, gold rings around their neck, stretching their necks out to 12-15"! Karl & I called it the human zoo. The tribes make crafts you buy in exchange for pictures. It's interesting and sad at the same time. I got some great shots I hope to sell to National Geographic. (In my dreams...)
Here are some of my favorites. Enjoy! To view the rest from Thailand click here.

Just turned five and got her first set of rings:
Worker in a rice paddy:







